St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Slaterville Springs
St. Thomas Episcopal Church, built in 1893, is a well-executed and intact example of the Victorian Gothic style that was popular in rural church construction during this period. The identity of the building's architect remains an unsolved mystery. Historic Ithaca’s relationship with St. Thomas began in 1987, when HI served an advisory role in building rehabilitation work. Beginning in 1988, Historic Ithaca prepared research in anticipation of the church’s nomination to the State and National Registers of Historic Places. After many years of delay at the state office, Historic Ithaca re-submitted the nomination in 1994. St. Thomas was finally approved for listing on the State Register in 1994 and the National Register in 1995.
Newsletters: Spring 1989, December 1994