• Historic Ithaca

The History Center in Tompkins County

The History Center was established in 1863 as the Ithaca Historical and Scientific Society with Ezra Cornell as its first President. In 1899, the organization was renamed the DeWitt Historical Society and began to build its collection of materials related to local history. Historic Ithaca was founded in 1966 and has had a close relationship with DeWitt Historical Society throughout its 50 year history. In a major coup, Historic Ithaca secured DeWitt Historical Society as the first tenant of the Clinton House. This move guided HI’s renovation work and lent the organization greater appeal in applying to foundations for support. Today, the History Center and Historic Ithaca continue work closely in the preservation of Tompkins County’s past and the education of its public.

Photos of early exhibitions in the Clinton House, photos courtesy of the History Center, 1970s

7 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All