In its earliest years, Historic Ithaca set out to protect four significant buildings: the Clinton House, the Boardman House, the Old Courthouse, and the DeWitt School. The DeWitt School was built in 1914 and designed by William Henry Miller in the Tudor Revival style. When the building was vacated and put up for sale in 1971, Historic Ithaca organized open houses and assisted in an adaptive reuse study of the building. Ithaca architect William Downing bought the building in 1972, and by 1974, the school was successfully converted into the apartments, shops, and offices now comprising the DeWitt Mall.
Cornell & Ithaca in Postcards (1988)
Newsletter: Feb 11, 1970 (for history/description), Cornell Alumni News May 1974, Newsletter Summer 1971