We’ve prepared and gathered resource sheets and links to help answer some of our most common inquiries. If you don’t see the answer to your question here, send us an email and we’ll do our best to get the information that you need!
Researching Your Property
Why to Repair and Retain Your Old Windows
- Windows in the news in Rochester.
- The National Trust for Historic Preservation – Weatherization
- “Should Your Old Windows Be Saved?” Rob Yagid, Fine Homebuilding, 2010
- “Repair-Don’t Replace-Those Older Wood Windows” Rebecca Williams, NTHP
- “What Replacement Windows Can’t Replace: The Real Cost of Removing Historic Windows” Walter Sedovic and Jill Gotthelf, APT Bulletin, 36:4/2005.
- Preservation Brief 9: The Repair of Historic Wooden Windows.
Maintenance, Repair Guides, and Weatherization
- Guide to Local Window Repair Providers
- National Trust for Historic Preservation Window Resource List
- “Historic Preservation and Weatherization Toolkit.” NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
- “Restoring Window Sashes” David Gibney, Fine Homebuilding, Feb/Mar 2004.
- “Strips and Storms” Steve Jordan, Old House Journal, Nov/Dec 2004
Preservation Organizations / Publications / Misc.
We maintain a list of local contractors and construction services that specialize in work on historic properties. Give us a call or visit us during office hours for more information.
- Adirondack Architectural Heritage
- Landmark Society of Western New York
- Essex Community Heritage Organization
- LANDMARK WEST! (NYC)
- FRIENDS of the Upper East Side Historic Districts
- Market Street Restoration Agency (Corning)
- Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation
- The Municipal Art Society of New York
- Heritage Foundation of Oswego County
- New York Landmarks Conservancy (NYC)
- Historic Albany Foundation
- Historic Districts Council (NYC)
- Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation
- Historic Saranac Lake
- Troy Architectural Program
- Hudson River Heritage
- Preservation Association of Central New York (Syracuse area)
- Preservation Association of the Southern Tier
- Preservation Buffalo Niagara
- Association for Preservation Technology, International
- Cemetery History & Preservation
- HABS/HAER/HALS (Historic American Building Survey, Historic American Engineering Record, Historic American Landscape Survey)
- League of Historic American Theatres
- National Park Service
- National Register of Historic Places
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Old House Journal
- National Park Service Preservation Briefs
- Preserve Net