JOB DESCRIPTION for Marketing Coordinator – Part-time, 25 hours a week
The Historic Ithaca Marketing Coordinator manages the marketing, development, and community engagement initiatives of Historic Ithaca, Significant Elements, and the Work Preserve program.
Historic Ithaca (HI) is a well-established nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote and preserve the built environment in Ithaca and throughout Tompkins County as the voice of preservation. Historic Ithaca’s related business, Significant Elements (SE), is an architectural salvage retail store open to the public that supports the mission of the organization. An educational component of HI and SE is its Work Preserve job training program.
The position reports directly to Historic Ithaca’s Executive Director and is part time, 25 hours per week.
Duties will include, but not limited to:
- Manage HI’s events and community engagement programs through the web, social media, and print and digital publications to reach established audiences and to connect with new and diverse constituencies;
- With Historic Ithaca’s Executive Director, Preservation Services Coordinator, Development Committee, and Significant Elements Manager, implement the newly developed Marketing and Significant Elements business plans through the use of Sumac, a fundraising software program, for tracking, mailings of all types, event participation, customer surveys and statistics, and the like;
- Design advertisements, print media (including post cards, posters, and exhibit posters), and social media campaigns;
- Produce weekly Constant Contact email newsletter;
- Coordinate and manage events, and/or work with lead staff on events;
- Write and manage program grant applications and awards;
- Aid in the redesign of brand logo and two new websites for HI and SE;
- Connect with diverse cultural and arts organizations as partners and audiences;
- Create innovative programs and campaigns that advance HI and SE’s brands and identities;
- Conduct tours and presentations at local and regional venues to support and promote the mission and activities of our organization;
- Engage with Tompkins County’s preservation, tourism, arts and cultural, educational, and related entities such as Tompkins Center for History and Culture, Tompkins County Historical Commission, task forces, and committees;
- Track and compile program and event metrics for reports to board of directors and grantors;
- Work with Executive Director, Preservation Services Coordinator, Work Preserve Manager, Work Preserve Outreach Coordinator, and staff.
- Ability to design print media and social media posts and campaigns;
- Proven track record of event planning and coordination;
- Marketing and social media experience necessary;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills;
- Ability to work effectively with project teams and with community and regional partners;
- Ability to work in self-directed manner on individual projects and event planning for general public and professional audiences;
- Ability to work professionally and sensitively with diverse audiences;
- Ability to meet deadlines.
A Bachelor’s Degree is required. The ideal candidate will have relevant job experience in marketing and communications, event planning, community engagement, or related fields. Education or experience in history, historic preservation, or a related field is preferred but not necessary.
Computer skills: Adobe Creative Suite; Microsoft Office; social media; data collection; web design or familiarity with mobile apps an asset. Experience working in a non-profit organization, New York state government agency, or local government desirable.
Hours are based on Historic Ithaca’s hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
Salary: $20.00+ per hour with benefit package to include vacation, personal time off, and holidays.
Please forward a cover letter and resume to Susan Holland, email@example.com by Wednesday, March 4, 2020. Interviews will start immediately after resume due date.
Historic Ithaca provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.