172 Pleasant Grove Rd, Ithaca, NY 14850
The Cradit-Moore House represents a successful recent effort at preserving our local heritage. The earliest section of the home, its northern wing, has been documented to 1817 and was constructed by Isaac Cradit. This wing possesses many Greek Revival characteristics including pilasters, a cornice line with full entablature, a pediment-shaped door surround and elaborate window molding. Circa 1860-61, the present southern wing was added when it was sold to Peter Kline. The house underwent many changes in 1938 when plumbing, electricity and a hot air heating system were installed, and many other spatial changes were carried out throughout the house. It was bought by Dr. and Mrs. Norman Moore from the Kline family in 1938. Dr. Norman Moore was the first Director of Cornell University’s health care system. In 1948 the house was sold to Cornell University with the Moores retaining lifetime residency. For more detailed history of the house visit our archival collection at 212 Center St, Ithaca NY.
Cornell University’s expansion plans for the North Campus, the North Campus Initiative, included plans to demolish the building, and Historic Ithaca stepped in to save the almost 200-year old structure. The fate of the house was a major point of contention during a series of Town of Ithaca hearings on the effects of Cornell’s North Campus Initiative. As part of its new initiative, Cornell planned to house all freshmen in the North Campus area. Some local preservationists argued that the historic context of the house would be lost if it were moved to a new location, and they sought ways for the university to either use the house for offices or other purposes, or to alter the plans.
Finally, it was decided to move the single-family home to about three-tenths of a mile north of its original location at 128 Pleasant Grove Rd to a vacant lot between 166 and 173 Pleasant Grove Road. The move was accomplished on May 23, 2000. In partnership with Cornell University, Historic Ithaca acted as a project manager for the relocation to the site that was once a part of the original Cradit family farm, and made sure that the best preservation practices were followed. University engineer John Kiefer, project manager Joni Carroll and other Cornell staff worked with Historic Ithaca and its contractors, Rick Lazarus and Dexheimer for over a year to ensure the successful relocation of the house. Cornell also donated the house to Historic Ithaca, and underwrote the entire cost of the relocation project, including a no-cost, 99-year lease on the new site. Historic Ithaca, in turn, sold the house to a private owner. Proceeds from the sale offset costs incurred by construction of a new foundation and landscaping at the new site.