50 for 50: Clinton Hall
Clinton Hall, neighbor to the Clinton House, was built between 1837 and 1846 and is the most significant example of Greek Revival commercial architecture in Ithaca.
In 1985, Clinton Hall faced a serious demolition threat. The building had been vacant for 10 years following a fire in 1975. When it was suddenly threatened with a demolition order, Historic Ithaca acted quickly to stabilize the building, gain a reprieve from the demolition order, and in a matter of months, help to orchestrate a purchase offer. Local developer Joseph Ciaschi purchased the building, and Romanoff & Associates, led by Victoria Romanoff, former project manager of the Clinton House restoration, guided the renovation. This drawing is by Victoria Romanoff.