Moving the Cradit-Moore House
On May 23, 2000, Historic Ithaca moved Cornell University’s Cradit-Moore House. Threatened by Cornell’s North Campus initiative, Historic Ithaca and the NYS Historic Preservation Office agreed that a move would be the most favorable option to protect the building. The house was originally owned by Benjamin Cradit, a local farmer and landowner. Built in 1817 in the Federal style, updated to the Greek Revival style early in its life, and significantly increased in size by later additions and remodeling, the house weighed approximately 100 tons at the time it was moved. Historic Ithaca purchased the house in 1999 and coordinated its move to a new site on Pleasant Grove Road, just three-tenths of a mile away from its original location.
Photograph by Jon Reis.