Historic Ithaca is pleased to announce that Rogue’s Harbor Inn has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The South Lansing landmark and former stagecoach inn has been painstakingly restored by owner Eileen Stout, who acquired it in 2001. Built in 1830, the inn was a rumored stop on the Underground Railroad and local legends tell of its role as a speakeasy during Prohibition. Today, Rogue’s Harbor continues its long tradition of “hearty fare, strong spirits, and elegant lodging,” as a bed and breakfast with a restaurant, tavern, and ballroom.
The National Register listing has been over one year in the making. Historic Ithaca staff researched and wrote the nomination last fall, and it was accepted at the New York State level in December.
Rogue’s Harbor was originally called the Central Exchange Hotel, serving as a stagecoach stop, and later served train and steamboat travelers. Notable guests have included William Henry Seward, Harriet Tubman, and the criminal Edward Rulloff, who was confined in the basement after his arrest. The Inn’s current name was reputedly acquired when a tavern patron smashed a whiskey bottle against the side of the building, exclaiming, “here’s to a harbor of rogues!” Read more about the inn’s history at www.roguesharborinn.com/history.