FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Ithaca, New York – May 20 2009
Alphonse Pieper, Executive Director, Historic Ithaca, Inc.,
212 Center St., Ithaca, NY 14850
PH: 607 277-3450
Historic Ithaca Celebrates Local Preservation Efforts
Historic Ithaca’s Annual Meeting and Preservation Awards ceremony took place Tuesday, May 19 at the Unitarian Church of Ithaca. The 1896 church building, designed by famed Ithaca architect William Henry Miller, provided an ideal backdrop to an evening dedicated to recognizing and promoting historic preservation in our community.
Over fifty people were in attendance to celebrate Historic Ithaca’s accomplishments over the past year and to applaud local preservation efforts. Seven awards were given, honoring individuals, groups, and businesses in Tompkins County for their stewardship of historic properties and service to the community. In addition, Historic Ithaca recognized several individuals who have made outstanding personal contributions of time to the organization: Executive Director Jim Tantillo (2007-2008); outgoing Board President Martha Eller; longtime Business Manager Jean Hubbell; Carol Cox of Tetra Tech Architects and Engineers; and John Hinchcliff and the Miller Mayer team.
Board member Tania Werbizky spoke about the tremendous changes Historic Ithaca has experienced this past year, noting that with the sale of the Clinton House and State Theatre, the organization will be returning to its core mission to preserve and sustain the legacy of the built environment in Tompkins County. Executive Director Alphonse Pieper presented Historic Ithaca’s plans for the future, saying that education will be the focus of programs and efforts ranging from advocacy to hands-on workshops.
Each year Historic Ithaca presents awards for sensitive restoration and preservation projects within Tompkins County. This year’s honorees were:
- Justine Kalka, for the sensitive rehabilitation of the front porch of her Second-Empire style home in Brooktondale
- The Cancer Resource Center of the Finger Lakes, for the outstanding rehabilitation of the former residence at 612 West State Street in Ithaca
- Avi Smith and Debby Halpern, for the complete rehabilitation and continued retail use of the circa-1880 Brookton’s Market building in Brooktondale
- Mary Kane Trochim and Bill Trochim, for the interior rehabilitation of office space in the circa-1890 Renvyle Building at 136 East State Street in Ithaca
- Sigrid Kulkowitz and Shaul Hendel, for the creative use of salvaged wood organ pipes in the renovation of the kitchen of their home in Ithaca
- Mary Raddant Tomlan, in recognition of her extraordinary efforts and accomplishments in historic preservation over many years of service to the greater Ithaca community
- The Downtown Ithaca Alliance, for the listing in 2005 of the Ithaca Downtown Historic District in the National Register of Historic Places and for the continuing support of the preservation of Ithaca’s historic downtown commercial structures
For more information, visit www.historicithaca.org or call (607) 273-6633
ABOUT HISTORIC ITHACA: Historic Ithaca is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and sustaining the legacy of the built environment in Tompkins County and the Finger Lakes region. Through education, advocacy, and action, Historic Ithaca helps to protect the significant buildings, landscapes, and communities in the local region.